Dragon Ball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon Ball Forum

A forum about the Dragon Ball Universe. As well as discussions of other anime/manga and any kind of chat.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Part 1 flaws?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
L.L.
Admin
L.L.

Power Level : 1760

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Whether anime or manga, what are the flaws of this part?
Back to top Go down
https://dragonballforum.forumotion.com
Turnabout Terror

Turnabout Terror

Power Level : 2206

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 6:14 pm

By no means do I hate part 1, but I think it's just the worst JoJo part. Let me start with what I think:

-Reading it in the manga is a chore. It's a bit too long despite only being 40 chapters and the art is sucky. The anime managed to mitigate this issue by condensing it into 9 episodes, but it still felt slow in some parts.

-Jonathan, well, I like him but he's bland.

-The story literally feels like Fist of the north star, when Shin was the main antagonist. Dio/Jonathan resembles Shin/Kenshiro too much.
Back to top Go down
Gog Trump

Power Level : 1127

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Turnabout Terror wrote:

-The story literally feels like Fist of the north star, when Shin was the main antagonist. Dio/Jonathan resembles Shin/Kenshiro too much.

The story is a bland Hokuto no Ken ripoff. The art while it sucks is reminiscent of Hokuto no Ken, Jonathan and Dio's relationship, designs, and characters are reminiscent of Kenshiro and Shin. Fucking Hamon is like Hokuto shizen with how it blows up enemies in gory fashion. Araki really liked Hokuto no Ken.

It's also bland, and doesn't even feel like Jojo's bizarre adventure. It has none of Araki's charm and quirks in his writing. Part 2 was where the story really started to get a grip of itself.

It's also the worst travelling to a destination story, with part 3, 5, and 7 all doing that style of story better.

Part 7 makes it look even worse, and highlights how much Araki has grown as a story teller.
Back to top Go down
L.L.
Admin
L.L.

Power Level : 1760

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Is it supposed to be based off of the Fist of the North Star? Aside from hamon being so similar, I don't think the characters are as big of a deal. Their relationship is pretty different and that is such an overused relationship of characters in general in so many things. Childhood friends, one is jealous of the other and eventually betrays him. Often times stealing the other's love interest. Dio and Jonathan's relationship feels more original tbh. Since it goes a bit different route and the two never trusted each other. Not to mention Jonathan doesn't even really get his revenge. He ends up dying. The story of Jonathan is very tragic really.
Back to top Go down
https://dragonballforum.forumotion.com
Turnabout Terror

Turnabout Terror

Power Level : 2206

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Greeny wrote:
Is it supposed to be based off of the Fist of the North Star? Aside from hamon being so similar, I don't think the characters are as big of a deal. Their relationship is pretty different and that is such an overused relationship of characters in general in so many things. Childhood friends, one is jealous of the other and eventually betrays him. Often times stealing the other's love interest. Dio and Jonathan's relationship feels more original tbh. Since it goes a bit different route and the two never trusted each other. Not to mention Jonathan doesn't even really get his revenge. He ends up dying. The story of Jonathan is very tragic really.

Maybe not based, but it was definitely inspired by. Araki flat out stated that he based Phantom blood on the trend of the 80's(Big buff men like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rocky Balboa... doing awesome things, and Hokuto no Ken is obviously that).

Also, yeah, the friend-turns-rival relationship nowadays it's pretty cliche but consider the time Fist of the North Star was being published. It might as well have been a new concept in Manga at that time, but I agree that Dio/Jonathan is better than Shin/Kenshiro. However, when I say that that Jonathan/Dio looks like Kenshiro/Shin, it's more of an appearance thing. The good guy has a short, brown(yes, it's brown in the manga. The anime changed it to blue) spiky hair while the bad guy is blonde and both are incredibly buff.
Back to top Go down
Gog Trump

Power Level : 1127

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Greeny wrote:

By the end of the part Dio ends up respecting Jonathan, and even calls him his friend, it's why he wanted Jonathan's body. Jonathan also still cared about Dio until the very end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Part 1 flaws? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Part 1 flaws?   Part 1 flaws? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Part 1 flaws?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dragon Ball Forum :: Anime & Manga :: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-
Jump to: